Saturday, December 20, 2014

DX Engine Blade Modifications

Finally after umpteen "years" of delay, I finally got the motivation to make a new blade for my DX Engine Blade, which is one of my earliest DX I wanted to mod. By layering 2 pieces of thicker ABS plastic sheet, a new and longer blade (core) is done... Initially wanted to make an even longer blade but it will make the handle look too small overall and not in proportion.



Used thinner ABS to make the "rims" of the blade...



As I was about to use a thinner ABS sheet to make the outer rim, I realized I had make the top of the blade core too low. In the end, the rim only stick to a little portion at the top of the blade, and had to later use hot glue to fill up the long gap, resulting in a uglier top of the blade.



The bottom side of the blade was hot glued in a similar way, with the excess rim part forced in to result in a narrower gap...



Holes are a challenge as it is not easy to drill through the ABS manually... I really mean "manually", as I only use my fingers and a pair of long nose pliers to twist the twist drill bit... and because the 2 layers of thick blade core are not able to be effectively superglued together, they tend to pop out when the drill bit reaches the other piece... luckily borrowed my dad's 6V mini drill/screwdriver to drill small pilot holes and that makes the drilling job easier... Also had to manually carve out depressions for 1 of the peg to sit in...



And very happy to see the new blade fits in nicely!!! Hahahaha... Ready to spray paint the next day!!



I use silver chrome spray paint the blade... nice...



Oh, and I decide to emulate a modder who show his/her mod in a Youtube clip, where the DX Engine Blade can be flip-close without pressing the black button originally needed. So I analyze the mechanism and realised that by removing the 2 stopper pieces (circled in yellow in the picture below), the desired feature can be done (see video clip below for demo of the flip-close feature).



With that, I fit in the new blade.... Nice!!!!! Now it looks much better as Engine Blade!!!!! Hahahahaha....



Close up view of the blade...



Though it still is much shorter, not much can be done as the DX Engine Blade's body is also originally small to begin with... So this is the best I can do... Hmmm... maybe can be better.. anyway...



With the DX Accel Driver, DX Trial Memory, and "DX" Gaia Memory Enhancement Adapter... Nice...


And here's a short clip of my modded DX Engine Blade and the flip-close feature...

No comments:

Post a Comment