Tuesday, September 1, 2015

August Purchase (7) - DX Meteor Driver (and Repair), Yokai Medals Blind Bag

An impulse buy at OG Albert today... The DX Meteor Driver, at $65, due to the SG50 whatever... Anyway, I think I will regret this IF this is to be selling at the Taka sales next year, or something... But this has been in my want -list a long, long time ago, so eventually gave in to my desire (no, I am not a Greed nor Yummy) at the last day of the promotion.... 



... To make matters worse, my driver's sphere seemed NOT to be able to rotate long enough during the henshin spin, as the sphere stopped way before the music ended... The base of the sphere seems to be scratching the entire surface... I decided to take out the driver and see if something can be done... And this is not a simple task, as there are many parts that seem to interlock, and certain parts need to be disassembled first before the other (inner) part can be reached... anyway, manage to open up after long time...


And after trying to remedy by smoothing the base of the rotating sphere with no success, I decided to make a simple thin plastic washer (see the white colour ring in the picture below). The concept is quite simple really: reduce the amount of surface area rubbing while the sphere is rotating should reduce friction and allows a longer spin.... and it turns out well!!!! Nice... Took me 5 minutes to make the washer but 5 hours to dismantle and re-assemble (including re-soldering of broken wires, repairing worn-out internal screw threads and etc)... and this should not have happen in the first place... maybe the worker at the assembly plant forgot to put in a washer... anyway, so long as it is working now, I am not complaining... hahahahha.... Waiting for my gashapon Meteor Storm and Cosmic Astro Switches to be purchased... hopefully no hiccups... Hahahahaha....

*** EDIT: Opened up this DX Meteor Driver again this morning and decided to examine the mechanism closer to see whether the washer necessary or not... In the end, I removed the washer and tightened up some screws that are not screwed in properly at some parts that raised and kept the globe... So now the globe can spin longer as it is not rubbing against the self-made washer... Nice...



Also bought a blind-pack of Yokai Medals at $3.15 (after discount) for my little nephew to add to his collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment